Saturday, January 18, 2014

Distressed "Market" Sign

I have seen so many cute kitchen signs that say "Market" floating around on Pinterest.  I knew that was something I was going to have to make for my kitchen.

So, last week when I was home with a sick little girl I got to get some crafting done. This was one of my projects.

I got three pieces of balsa wood at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 a piece. They are each 2 inches wide by 36 inches long. Here's the link: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/36-x-2-x-3/32-balsa-wood-sheets-402917/

First, I laid the three pieces out and painted them with white chalk paint. After they dried I laid the three pieces out and attached them together using popsicle sticks as a brace.  This worked out well since the pieces were so lightweight.





Next, I printed off what the word "Market". Sorry, I can't recall the font/size. But I did have to print it out across four separate pages.

I taped the pages together and laid them out across the boards. I traced the letters onto the board so that the letters were indented into the wood.

I then outlined the letters with a sharpie, and painted the letters in with black paint.



I only did one coat, since I knew I was going to distress the sign.



As soon as the paint was dried I used a sanding block to scuff it up.



Lastly, we hung it up above my kitchen sink using some heavy duty poster strips. I think this made my kitchen feel so much more homey!






No comments: