Monday, September 9, 2013

Beefy Crockpot Chili

Last weekend the temperature outside was approximately 157,000 degrees so I decided it was a good time to make chili. 

Yes, I am aware that most people make chili when it's cold outside... Obviously I don't always check the forecast when making my meal plan. I just really wanted some cornbread, so it was on. 

I found a low calorie chili recipe in my Hungry Girl cookbook. This one was definitely a winner, especially at only 209 calories. And it's a crockpot recipe, so that Made my Sunday a lot easier.



Ingredients:
One 1 pound raw lean beef tenderloin roast, trimmed of excess fat, quartered
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
One 29 oz can of tomato sauce
One 15 oz. can chili beans
One 15 oz can red kidney beans
One 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions:
Season beef with salt and pepper and place in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients and gently mix; make sure beef stays at the bottom of the crockpot.

Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours, until beef is fully cooked.

Remove beef and cut into bite-sized pieces. Stir into the chili and enjoy.


This recipe was super yummy. I forgot to put in the corn, but I will definetely add that next time. We topped with cheese and sour cream. Delicious!

No comments: