Sunday, November 2, 2014

Thanksgiving Dramatic Play Prep

This week my class and I will be starting our Thanksgiving lesson plan for the month of November. It's full of turkey's, manners, and lessons about lots of yummy food!

Last night and today I sat down and made some felt food for my dramatic play center. I made turkey legs first and loved how they turned out....




So I got to work on making more. I did mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and corn.


While I was moving along I copied my templates so I can share with you!  Print off the template on card stock, and then trace onto the felt, and some card stock. I used fabric glue to stick the felt to the card stock to make them sturdy.

 The only one that doesn't have a template is the green beans. I just cut slits of green felt and made a pile of green beans.

Here are the templates:


Excuse my amazing drawing skills. ;) However, these work great as basic shapes.
I used the following colors of felt:

Turkey leg- Brown and white for the bone.
Cranberry sauce: red
Gravy: Light brown
Mashed Potatoes: Off white
Pie: Orange
Corn husks: 1 yellow, 1 green. Cut the green one in half, length wise and attach as husks.


In addition to my food I hit up Hobby Lobby and bought a few things.  I got a child's apron a child's chef hat, and some paper plates.. (I'll just give them a few paper plates at a time.)

I also picked up some fabric scraps to use. I got the gingham to use as a tablecloth for our dramatic play table and red fabric to use as cloth napkins. I can't wait to see how much fun they will having cooking Thanksgiving dinner!


I'm about ready to start coming up with ideas for Christmas! I will definitely do a felt tree. Any other suggestions?

No comments: