Monday, April 15, 2013

DIY Tile Coasters

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great day. I was off work today, so most of it was pretty enjoyable!

 I'm not sure I've ever used the words "Monday" and "Enjoyable" in the same sentence before. Eh, once in a lifetime is probably ok, right?

We've all seen the Sharpie projects on Pinterest showing that you can draw on ceramics with a Sharpie, bake it and then use it over and over again.

We are probably all pretty much aware that the above method doesn't work. At all. I have seen that you can use paint pens and it will stick, so I had to test it out.

I had picked up some cheap ceramic tile at the Habitat for Humanity Restore a couple of months ago, and decided to test that out. 

I picked up these paint markers at Wal-Mart. 

I cut out an "R" with my Cricut and traced it onto the ceramic tiles.

Then, I put them in a cold oven on a baking sheet and then set the oven to 350. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the tiles to cool. 

Cut pieces of felt to put on the bottom of the tile and hot glue into place.

Ta-Da! We've been using them for about two weeks and they are still holding up great!


No comments: