Sunday, July 21, 2013

Recipe Review- Carmelized Onion Cheese Quesadilla

As you all know, I have been slowly trying some new recipes from the Hungry Girl to the Max cookbook. This is the first time in my life that I have ever counted calories and it did not take me long to realize that trying to cook low calorie dinners is not an easy task!

Last week we tried out a few recipes and I am sharing the ones that we tried and loved. We have actually been marking them in the cookbook with a smiley face if it something we all liked and want to have again.

This one got a big fat smiley face.

This recipe makes one. I just quadrupled the recipe. :)



Caramelized Onion Cheese Quesadilla

1 cup diced sweet onion
dash of salt
dash of pepper
1/4 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican-blend cheese
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese
1 medium- large high fiber flour tortilla with 110 calories or less





Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to a medium-low heat. Add onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stirring frequently, cook until caramelized, 15-20 minutes.



Transfer onion to a medium bowl. Add shredded cheese and cheese wedge and thoroughly mix.

Lay tortilla flat and spread one half with onion-cheese mixture. Fold the bare half over and press gently to seal.

If needed, clean skillet. Re-spray and bring to medium-high heat. Cook quesadilla unit hot and crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Slice into wedges and enjoy!

 This recipe was so good and I know it’s because of the Laughing Cow Cheese. These quesadillas reminded me a lot of some amazing spinach enchiladas I tend to get at Monterey’s every time I go in there. (Without the spinach obviously) In fact, I think these would be great with some spinach thrown into the mix… and I will have to try that out sometime.

Everyone at the table LOVED these. And since they are low calorie it was an amazing guilt free meal! (292 calories!)

No comments: