Friday, October 1, 2010

DIY #2 Store Bought Embellished Wedding Garters



Garters were one of my first DIY ideas and I spent a lot of time searching online for information on how to make them. I was set until I hit the craft store. While walking around looking for cheap fabric, lace, elastic, and decorations I had at least $20 worth of stuff in my cart and I didn't know how they would turn out!


I put everything away and walked away from the whole idea, thinking I would just be better off doing store bought. 


Later on, I was roaming around Dollar Tree and found plain white garters. They had kind of goofy looking white bows on them, which I figured would be easy to remove (they were just hot glued on!) and gave me a good foundation to work with. ($2 total!)


I headed down to good ole Wal-Mart and picked up two rolls of satin ribbon ($1.97 each!) in hot pink and navy blue and went back to Hobby Lobby to get some charms to add. The charms were 50% off so I ended up spending $2.24 total on those. 


I sat down today and made four little bows with my ribbon, sewed each set together and then added the charms to the front. When they were complete I hot glued them onto my cheapy garters and VIOLA! Personalized fun garters for $8.18! Plus I have left over ribbon to use on future projects. 


The picture may be a little hard to see, but the charm on the toss garter says LOVE and the one on the keep garter says I DO. I'm so happy with the way they turned out. Can't wait to start on my next project! My card box! Stay tuned. :) 

No comments: