Sunday, December 1, 2013

Aqua Pre-Teen Dresser Redo

When my cousin asked if I had any use for a dresser that needed a lot of work, I had to stop myself from jumping up and down when I told her that I would happily take it off of her hands. Rae's closet is pretty much out of control, so she could definitely get some use out of it.

The excitement grew even more the day I came home to see it had been dropped off while I was at work. This dresser held so much potential! 



Rae and I spent some time looking around on Pinterest so that we could decide on a color. She was immediately draw to all of the shades of aqua and turquoise that were all over the place.

I went to the paint desk at Walmart, and picked up a pint of "Cool Marine" from the Disney Paint Section. 

Next, I used that paint to make a bowl of chalk paint. I found a great recipe here.

2 cups of paint
2 tablespoons of plaster of Paris
2 tablespoons of water


First, I sanded off the dresser so the paint would stick. Then, I painted three coats on the dresser, allowing it to dry between coats. 

I roughed it up a little with a sandpaper block when I got done, I love the tattered look! 

I found some cute knobs for the top drawers (Hobby Lobby), 

but I ended up putting the old handles back on the rest of the drawers. I plan to paint them black when I have a chance, so maybe never... or in like 2 1/2 years after I graduate. We'll see how it goes. ;)



Anyway, the dresser turned out awesome and looks great in Rae's room! What do you think?





No comments: