Friday, March 22, 2013

DIY Chalkboard Wall Decor

Boy, spring break has flown by! I can not believe it's already Friday!

Anyway, a few weeks ago I made a trip to the Habitat for Humanity Restore and scored some cabinet doors for $2!

Since then I've been working on a few projects with them.

Last week I made this super cute chalkboard for my next craft show in May.


I started off by sanding the cabinet door and spray painting the edges with some pretty turquoise spray paint.



Next I used my sanding block to rough up the spray paint to give it a worn look.



After that I used some black chalkboard paint on the door inlay. I did the first coat painting from right to let, then the second coat going from top to bottom. Be sure to give it an hour in between coats to let it dry. Next, I gave it 24 hours to let it cure.


After 24 hours were up I used a piece of chalk to cover the chalkboard paint to activate it.


And then I washed it off using a wet washrag and let it dry.

For the last step I attached an upside down cabinet door handle to the door to use as a chalk holder.



Complete, cute, useful and fun. Have you done any fun projects lately? I'd love to hear about them!


I'm linked up over at Craft-O-Maniac! Go join the party!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the idea of the chalk holder using and upside down handle.

Stopping by from craft o maniac.

www.MakazHome.com

Unknown said...

Thank you! And thanks for stopping by!