Sunday, August 25, 2013

Minecraft Birthday Party - Kill the creeper beanbag toss game.

This weekend we threw a Minecraft themed party for Rae's 11th birthday, so I will be sharing different elements of the party on my blog this week!

Thanks to Pinterest I had a ton of great ideas saved for this party.

One of the biggest hits from the party was our homemade beanbag toss game. 

My husband had a piece of mfd laying around from another project, so he cut out a piece that was 21 inches wide and 40 inches tall he used a 1x12 board for the feet and he cut it at a diagonal from end to end.

Next, he cut a hole near the top of the board. The hole size is 6 1/2 inches. 


He suggested that I paint it green (for the creeper face), but I decided just to cover it in poster board so we can reuse it later.

I used lime green poster board for the background. I just cut it to size and used packing tape to hold it in place. Next, I used black card stock to cut out four squares. (4 inches each)

I glued three down to form the eyes and the nose. I cut the last one in half to make the creeper frown. 

 I also made some bean bags to use for the toss. I bought a $1 bandana from Hobby Lobby and cut out three rectangles, about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide. I folded the rectangles in half to make a square and sewed two of the open sides closed on each bean bag.

I got some cheap dry beans at Dollar Tree to use for filling. 


After filling each bean bag I sewed the remaining open sides shut. These weren't my best sewing work ever obviously, (I didn't even tuck in the open sides when I sewed them shut?) but for $2 and 10 minutes of my time the bean bags were up and ready to go! 



The girls had a blast playing the game. They got a prize for hitting the hole with all three bags... (I may have helped a couple of them out) and they all won silly string, that we used to have a silly string fight in the backyard. 

2 comments:

Crystal from My Ramblings said...

Cute idea. Thanks for explaining Minecraft to me, too. I'm so behind!

LeeAnn said...

Bags is a very popular game with my family!